Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chapters 13-15

I thought to start a separate discussion on these chapters as they deal specifically with giving both to the poor and needy, to parachurch organization, to secular groups and to churches. I am amazed how thoroughly he is covering these areas.

Wendy, I think we are encountering the same challenges. One thing that I underlined and question-marked and agonized over is on page 198: "Why not choose to live at a particular income level and simply give everything above that to God?" And my notes all over it are: "How can I do this? How do I downsize? How can I be content with little when I've become accustomed to living with so much?" Wow, that just proves how right Alcorn is: "The more holdings we have on earth, the more likely we are to forget that we are citizens of another world, not this one, and that our inheritance lies there, not here." Ooh, how hard to let go!!! But doesn't this appeal to you in some way? I pray the Lord will work in our hearts with this one. I'm not sure how it will play out, perhaps in a different way, but to be content with a certain level of income, certain standard of living and nothing more - would be so freeing.

The most challenging and impacting section was the 40 questions to ask the Lord about. I read some of these to Anthony and you can practically see the daggers driving its point in to our hearts. I truly wish there was some way to let everyone know the importance of reading this book or at least going through these questions honestly and openly before the Lord. Wow wow wow. I'm rethinking everything! From how much I give, to the reason why we save and invest money, to my future inheritance from mom, to which organization I should be supporting using the Lord's money! I am just blown away by these questions.

I have to admit that chapter 14 is a bit difficult for me. Honestly, I don't have a deep burden for the poor and the lost. I have more concern for the lost than the poor. I don't want to go and talk to those who walk around mumbling to themselves, asking with rum-laced breath for a dollar while pushing their life possessions in a wobbly shopping cart. I DO want to minister to those in my church or among friends who are struggling financially or who are in need. I have no problems with that. I have grown up to withdraw from those who are truly poor and homeless. Secondly, I am getting more and more sympathetic toward those in other countries who are suffering but I guess I'm skeptical about the organizations who help them. But really, who am I to withhold support because I question whether everything will be spent for them and not toward furnishing the CEO with a cadillac. We are to give wisely, purposefully, and knowledgeably. That's what I get from these last few chapters. and then Trust God with the dispersion, the multiplying, the results. Where are the poor in my budget???? More challenges...

And finally, a comment on supporting secular organizations. He's right, what are we supporting with the Lord's money? first and foremost, we need to support the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The only thing that will bring eternal changes. I agree that for every secular org. doing one thing, there is a godly alternative doing the same thing. I will be more aware of this and pray that I will be more sensitive to this. I used to think it was good enough supporting anything that was non-profit but i'm starting to change my thinking. Nothing wrong with non-profit, just reconsidering how my limited giving would impact heaven more if I'm contributing to the cause of Christ.

Whew! I can't emphasize how much this book is challenging and changing me for the better! Thank You Lord!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Julie, I'm about done. As I read the Conclusion I can hardly believe I made it through this book. Usually I grow bored with books (especially big, fat ones!) and skim the rest of it and move onto something else. Not this one. Not only was the book challenging, but it was a blessing to be challenged by this blog book club. It really kept me going.

I'm looking forward to continuing to walk in this path that God has set me upon. Repenting sincerely from debt, from materialism, from a worldly perspective on so many things. Making things right from the sins I've committed; sweeping up the mess from the consequences. Teaching my boys through our weaknesses & through our changes (by God alone) so that they will grow up to have biblical-centered thinking in re: to finances (and so much more). Getting on the same page with Dave. Leading other Christians to a more biblical understanding of our lifestyles/possessions/money, etc. Leading by example.

Probably one area that is still very vague for me is...what lifestyle to choose. Where is our line at which to live (and then give the rest away)? I know this takes praying for wisdom and waiting upon God to make it clear. I need to be very mindful of those things.

As I type this up, a growing sense of humility is washing over me. It's really an unfamiliar feeling, unfortunately. I realize that many times in my life I have been able to "cover up" or justify my sins....whereby nixing the resultant humility. I want to be washed clean. I want to live in grace. I want to live in the freedom of being fully forgiven and made new. I welcome this humility into my life as I repent from the sins of materialism, spending money that isn't mine, viewing my possessions as mine, placing idols above God Himself, etc.

Oh, this wasn't just a little ole Christian money book on making a budget and developing a good retirement plan. Whew, whoever reads this is in for so much more. I'm so utterly blessed that my eyes have been opened; now I pray for a willing spirit and obedient heart to persevere in this godly path.

Love, Wendy