Sunday, August 13, 2006

oh my. after reading all these reviews, now i want them all hahah.
ok so i definitely want to read feminine appeal and the d. a. carson book. the kent and tripp books sound really good too, but they both have to do with kind of being in an influential position where you have some kind of authority to counsel or lead ppl. :/ i'm not really in that position...but i think i would want to read the kent book anyway, b/c it sounds like i can learn practical ways to mentor younger sisters? and that's what i want to learn anyway. have you ever read tripp's other book, "war of words"? all the reviews raved about it, and i have some friends who have read it/are reading it who say it's really great. i know you don't want to buy any new books...maybe this time, *i'll* gift *you* hahaha...if you want it. puahah
anyway, here's something that my friend wrote (i think), that really challenged me


Busy vs. Full

Busy is frantic, shallow, stressed, out of control.
Full is satisfying, fruitful, paced and controlled, rich

Busy takes control of time and energy
Full renews my strength and comes from a life under the Spirit

Busy is the broken cistern that cannot hold water.
Full flows from the spring of living water.

Busy declares, "I'm important, I'm indispensable. I have value
because so many people need me and my services."
Full says, "Apart from Christ, I can do nothing, but with Him all
things are possible. I need Him."

Busy is driven, pushed.
Full is called.

Busy is motivated by the "Badge of busyness," loving to talk about how
busy one is, receiving sympathy or admiration for busyness.
Full is motivated by pleasing the Father, performing for an audience of One.

Busy gets results.
Full brings rewards.

Busy is distracted by many things, worries, concerned, wondering why
no one else is helping and why no one seems to care (remember Martha
in Luke 10?)
Full is receiving, trusting God as the provider and source.

Busy says, "Don't bother me right now. I don't have time."
Full says, "Come, rest, and drink in abundance."


:) love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that hint was real subtle sara, NOT! :-)
Oh my, this is so convicting. Sometimes I wonder why I make myself so busy. Part of me thrives on the busyness and the decision-making, the productivity. The other side I really do want to have a 'full' life, every moment counting for the Lord, not wasting a precious minute frivolously. But then, I know that I sometimes, I get too full of myself and add too much on my plate without the Lord's call and then I get into a lot of trouble! That's a good check for me. I will print it out and keep it on my desk to remember.

I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me. He who calls me is able to keep me. God Himself is my Goal. Thanks for the reminder.

NOW on to other things....
I am SO glad you are choosing feminine appeal. i was thinking of sending it anyway because i want to read it asap. the ones about influencing other women I chose because there are few who care about living for Christ and being an example to others. Caring for others, mentoring others and being mentored are great privileges of a maturing Christian. I think we should all pray to influence each other to become more godly in Christ. Whether you like it or not, you are in a mission field and a Bible school for life! :-) We don't have to read through these now, but don't discount your role in mentoring others one day. That's the older women's calling and you will get into that 'older woman' category before you know it! :-( heheh.

so, can you be less obscure and TELL ME which top 4 books you'd like? yes, the other paul tripp book is on my list.. in fact it was in my amazon shopping cart! :-) you can buy it for me since i'm on a book fast! :-0

uh, also, i just gave away my copy of 'Feminine appeal' to a girl who was moving away. so i don't have that on hand either. why are we blogging when we have email???? *rolling eyes*

anyone following along? anyone want to read with us? book club sounds so trendy. i want to call it Discipleship and Growth Group. :-)

enough for now. love ya'lls Jules