Saturday, January 20, 2007

Chapters 9-10

Because we're slowing down and because these chapters are loaded, I thought to only discuss these two chapters here. I think I have to post right after reading a chapter so I don't lose my momentum nor my thoughts that occur while reading.

The first thing that I loved to read was the section on Crowns as Rewards. I've never seen the crowns spelled out like that. It is a beautiful list of what to look forward to and how to obtain those crowns. We say that we desire to hear our Lord saying, "Well done thou good and faithful servant." I have to admit that Alcorn is correct in identifying the missing ingredient in a Christian's life as MOTIVATION. I appreciated the examples and the encouragement to be motivated by looking ahead to a greater reward. I used to think that it was prideful to look forward to rewards but this book is showing me that's what God intends for us.

Chapter 10 has an excellent list of lessons concerning both the Master and the Servant on p. 147 and 148. I have been thinking about it since I've read it and considering how I can change my attitude so that the servant doesn't mistaken being the master!

At this point however, I still am feeling a bit hollow about my stewardship. My prayer is that the Lord would not just allow me to read this book and say, Boy, that was a good book. And then going on about my business. I pray that He will deal with this issue in my life so that I can honor and glorify Him. I read this morning once again about the young man who asked Jesus, "What good deed must I do that I may obtain eternal life?" Jesus replies, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." Was the Lord implying that giving away all our possessions would buy our salvation? Absolutely not! Christ nailed the very god in the heart of this young man. He knew that the true hindrance in being a true follower of Christ was the very fact that his heart belonged to Mammon.

I pray that the Lord would continue to work in my heart and settle this money matter within me. I don't want to go on without a major overhaul in this area of my life. I am sickened to even consider that by allowing the love of money and my poor stewardship it's betraying evidence of split loyalty.

I wish I could express myself better. Oh well! :-)
The Lord continues to work in me.

"Live in Light of Eternity" has taken on a new meaning...

Jules

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to share something with you guys. First some background: Recently I told Julie that I was realizing there were some jealousy & covetousness issues with me and a neighbor friend. The enemy really began working on my mind when I began comparing myself to her (based on our possessions). I know that comparing is a bad idea since it leaves you either feeling superior to others or inferior & condemned, but that's what I was allowing my mind to entertain. Well, another neighbor gal is friends with this neighbor friend of mine---I saw this 2nd gal recently at a church retreat in town. We were both visiting this church for the retreat. I had a good conversation with her & thought "she seems hungry for the Lord". Because my neighbor friend is a mutual friend of this gal and I, I thought it might be a good idea to invite both of them over to my home for lunch or tea or whatever. Here's what I need to share with you all......I keep putting off the invite. Every time I get excited about getting to know these girls better (and maybe even ministering to the one who is hungry for the Lord), I "just happen" to look around my house and notice that it's not 'up to par'. Talk about a lie from the pit. The other day I finally prayed "Lord, I think You are really desiring to touch this gal's heart and You are inviting me to participate in it, but I keep giving lame excuses why I can't......my house isn't nice enough, I don't have curtains up, there are scratches on the floor, etc." So, then I finish up chapters 9 & 10 and was really convicted about the people that we minister to & touch here on this earth.....and our 'welcoming committee' in heaven. I'm not sure about all those details (I just need to leave that to the Lord), but I do know that God invites us to touch & minister to others and that He rewards that. So, please pray for me to "get over this silly nonsense" and just invite these gals to my home & bless them. I'm thankful for the timing of these chapters in this book so I could see more clearly my erroneous thinking & be renewed by the Word of God.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it just amazing how these lies seem so obvious in retrospect but are so subtle and deceptive while you are thinking them? Yikes!

BTW, just wanted to say that Wendy has a beautiful home! It's the perfect size to raise her 3 boys - including a really cool schoolroom. She has a very elegant yet comfortable sense of style - and her third floor boys room is SO pottery barn!! I just don't think i'll venture up there for the next few months until i have the baby! :-)

I'm not saying this to flatter you, Wendy. Just to say that WE see our faults and our shortfalls - others see YOU and your hospitality and your welcome. We had a wonderful time the other day. Your honesty and openness is refreshing! Invite those girls over asap - who knows, maybe you'll meet another soulmate?!

Love ya
Jules