Friday, September 08, 2006

loving my (future) husband

hi yules :)
i finished the second chapter yesterday :D
i'm so grateful that she wrote about this. ha, i think it's safe to say that i'm looking forward to getting married and all, but honestly, when i think about the married life itself, i kinda get apprehensive. NOT that you guys don't display the beauty of a God-centered marriage, but i think having the opportunity to watch your and yuyeon's marriages have shaped a lot of how i perceive marriage. on the one hand, i'm so grateful for having older sisters, because i know that marriage can be full of love, growth, fellowship, and above all, a joined striving for the things of the Lord. but on the other, i know that marriage is hard, and if anything, i'll struggle and deal with more after i get married. :( and this scares me. i feel like i should be expecting marriage to be great, but as of right now, i feel like i *know* it's not going to be all that wonderful. :( is that bad?
i also feel apprehensive because i fear that i will become a loveless wife. i know my tendency is to take for granted those i love, and unless they meet *my* needs and *my* expectations, unless they are like-minded with *my* convictions, then it is difficult for me to show tenderness and affection. "they obviously do not respect their husbands. They certainly do not have tender feelings for them. Yet that does not hinder these women from continuing to wash their husbands' clothes, cook their meals, and clean the house for them." i don't want to be one of these women!!
in any case, i'm glad that the Lord has allowed me to read this chapter, because it really addressed a lot of my apprehensions. her talking about our sinfulness in expectations and self-centeredness confirms that marriage will indeed have its share of struggles and difficulties, but this quote really put things into perspective for me - "Although we both are sinners, God is using our marriage to help us grow in godliness. In fact, our husbands' particular sins, unique weaknesses, and even their idiosyncracies are tailor made for us. Likewise, our sins and weaknesses are custom designed for them. Both husbands and wives will become more Christlike by having to deal with each other's sins and deficiencies."
this really hit me! God is, even now, sovereignly working in our own individual lives to shape us to be the people, sins and all, He desires us to be when we meet and marry. He is molding the two of us to complement one another, not only in strengths, but in weaknesses also, that we may more efficiently glorify Him together. even more than this, our having to encounter each others sins is not a bad thing, but a blessed opportunity to glorify Him through our love and graciousness for one another. through it, He gives us the chance to grow in prayer, service, and accountability, all for His sake. :D coool!
i pray that i may always keep my eyes and heart upon the Savior, whether as a single, or a married woman. may we approach sins, whether our own or another's, not with fear and anxiety, but with great rejoicing that in our weaknesses, He is strong, in our inabilities, He is sufficient, in our faithlessness, He is ever faithful.
on to chapter three!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara!
My comments on your comments:

"honestly, when i think about the married life itself, i kinda get apprehensive....as of right now, i feel like i *know* it's not going to be all that wonderful. :( is that bad?)"

Of course that's bad! :-P
truth is, you are apprehensive about nothing. single life was much more dramatic, stressful and lonely. i had far more 'problems' during my single years than my married years. it is far more wonderful to be married, you just don't know that yet! That said, you're right, marriage is going to be difficult, but I have to say that these tough years have gone by with my best friend by my side and it's been more wonderful than I can say. My own sinful, selfish nature has brought on our share of tension and frustration, but that's why I want you to learn more than I did before marriage. Not to avoid all that, but to be a lot more wise than your sisters were before you.

"i also feel apprehensive because i fear that i will become a loveless wife. i don't want to be one of these women!!"

What would you rather be then? You know, first of all, you're saying, I'm scared because I know i'm going to be an alcoholic, that's all there is to it. I'm scared because that's in my future - Oh sister! I know you can see the foolishness in this kind of thinking because it's already not acknowledging the incredible power of the Cross and the fullness of the grace He pours on us during our time of need. You are minimizing the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, the refining element of holiness. But that was honest! :-)

When you continue to honor the Lord and keep it Christ-centered your marriage will most likely be far more than you can ever imagine!

"God is, even now, sovereignly working in our own individual lives to shape us to be the people, sins and all, He desires us to be when we meet and marry. He is molding the two of us to complement one another, not only in strengths, but in weaknesses also, that we may more efficiently glorify Him together."

There's this book called Sacred Marriage - that really addresses marriage this way. The perfect relationship that God uses to hone us and perfect us - our road to holiness. Marriage has stretched me in areas I thought I wouldn't be flexible, but the Lord has softened me, molded me, shaped me to be who I am today. And I'm looking forward to having Him work more in me, through my husband, to become more like Christ every day. It's actually something to look forward to.

Keep the honesty coming. It's refreshing to read your thoughts, Sara!

Anonymous said...

haha this comment deserves to be it's own posts.
ok :) reading this makes me a little more excited about getting married. i guess it's just because i don't know anyone that i'd be willing to live the whole rest of my life with, so i can't really understand what's so great about having a husband *yet*. :) it is encouraging to know that my anxieties are unfounded, if we're both desiring to please the Lord.
i'll keep praying about it. please pray for me to be a good (future) wife!