Sunday, September 24, 2006

Purity and the Honor of Homemaking

I've been mulling over the last 2 chapters for a few days. There are some excellent points and I know I've already discussed the purity chapter with you, Sara. But here are some comments worth repeating:

Make no provision for the flesh. Don't even be placed in a position where you are even tempted to compromise. That seems obvious but it's not - because the flesh is so weak. Why not go to that coffee shop where the cute guy works, what can you do when you come into contact with someone you feel attracted to within an innocent environment. Here's an excellent point: "We should not read anything, view anything, or listen to anything that arouses impure thoughts or compromises our biblical convitions. That would be sinful." I was just having a conversation with someone who agrees with that, but who enjoys watching movies too much to give it up. For the sake of a "good movie" we risk our purity of mind and we risk displeasing our Lord. It's not as easy as it sounds. Secondly, our thought life. What we do in the privacy of our home, our computer, in front of the TV, etc. "What we are at home, that we are indeed" says Spurgeon. How true.

The next section on Homemaking was liberating for me!!!
I take care of EVERYTHING at home: from the daily, expected domestic duties to taking care of bills, taxes, mortgage and oil changes. I deal with banks, insurance companies, and building contractors. I make the deals in the family, get discounts, organize investments and arrange EVERYTHING. And while many women do that, I have always felt a little resentful because of what I saw dad do. How much he took care of within the household. But reading this chapter has just about made me cry: "Working at home means we are to function as the home manager - taking FULL ownership for all the domestic duties of the household." FULL OWNERSHIP - PRAISE GOD!!! I'm doing exactly what He's called me to do!!! I don't have to wish my husband would be in charge of the bills and get the car fixed. I don't have to stress about him not mowing the lawn or putting up the shelving. I am in charge!!! I may ask him to do this and that graciously, but it is MY responsibility. Just setting that in my mind has freed me! Within that job description I will be able to perform freely and with joy.

Also, I need to learn and work on this: My husband needs my help and I need to help him. I think I paraphrased this but it's swimming in my mind. "I frequently make choices, pursue endeavors, and carry out duties in my home in a manner that serves ME instead of in a way that helps my husband." ooh, how convicting. I am a selfish person at heart and I want to pursue my own comfort and fun and you know Anthony how sweet he is to let me indulge once in a while. But I should be much more considerate how it will affect him and the family. As a wife, I need to build my life around my husband and HIS schedule instead of the other way around. As a 21st century woman, it couldn't go more against the tide of woman's rights and desires - but it's Scriptural and freedom and happiness are truly found there. We always have to replace the world's appealing lies with the solid truth to be biblical women! This book is helping me reinforce what I've already learned.

Jules

No comments: